Your child's smile will have a lot to do with genetics. However, there are many things you can do to help them achieve a better looking smile. The first thing you need to realize is some procedures can only be done once your child reaches a certain age. This way, the dentist knows their teeth have completely come in. This article will touch on a few cosmetic dentistry procedures that can help your child get a better looking smile, and it will give you tips on things your child can do to as well.
Cosmetic dentistry treatments to give you the smile you want
- Braces – If your child has gaps between their teeth or they aren't straight enough, braces can be worn. They will pull the teeth in the proper position to improve your child's smile, as well as their overall bite. Braces are made of brackets and wires worn in your child's mouth that can only be removed by the dentist.
- Clear aligner – A clear aligner works much like braces. However, it is a plastic aligner your child will be able to take out of their mouth. This method is less intrusive than braces, but it will also take longer to give the desired results.
- Veneers – Veneers are coverings for teeth made from porcelain. The natural teeth will be ground down to make room for the veneers and to give them the right shape for the bonding to adhere. The veneers will help fill in gaps and repair broken teeth. Your child will leave the office with the teeth they want and they will both look and feel like natural teeth.
Ways you can help the appearance of your child's teeth
- Feed them tooth-friendly foods – Calcium will help to give your child strong teeth. It helps the enamel maintain its integrity and fight off the effects of plaque build-up.
- Have your child drink tap water – bottled water has been filtered to the point where it no longer has fluoride in it. Therefore, you should have your child drink tap water since it will provide them with fluoride to help their teeth stay strong and healthy.
- Have your child rinse with children's mouthwash – A lot of children don't rinse their mouth before bedtime. If you want to help your child to have the healthiest teeth possible, rinsing with a kid-friendly mouthwash will prove to be helpful.
You want to do all you can to help your child have healthy teeth and a great looking smile. Do what you can at home and get them in to see a dentist like Kids First Pediatric Dentistry to discuss further options if you have concerns.